Choir Director's School
The Choir Director's School trains church choir leaders.
- Secondary general education (minimum);
- Primary musical education (minimum);
- Age up to 35 years old;
- Single or first married;
- Experience singing in a church choir.
You must also:
- Be able to sing church hymns;
- Know basic solfege;
- Know how to play the piano;
- Possess basic vocal skills.
The program last 4 years. It is free of charge. Free dormitory and free meals are provided.
To participate in the educational program of the bachelor's level the applicant must have his or her education confirmed by a document of secondary general education or a document of secondary vocational education, or higher education and qualification.
To be admitted, you must apply and complete an entrance examination. Information on deadlines for admission and admission exams:
The documents are submitted to the Academy office.
- RecommendationTalk to your confessor. Ask him to write you a description of you: who you are, what kind of obediences you had in the parish, why you want to do things, and whom he sees you after graduation. The recommendation should indicate how long you have sung in the parish choir. Print it on the parish letterhead. Sign it in the confessor's presence and mark it with the parish stamp. Then ask the diocesan bishop to certify the recommendation. Or, you can ask the diocesan bishop write his own recommendation.
A candidate from the Moscow City Diocese should contact the Moscow Patriarchate to certify the recommendation. Applicants from the Moscow Regional Diocese should go to the Moscow Diocese Headquarters.
- Petition. When you arrive at the Academy, go up to the office on the second floor and write it up.
- A Document that confirms your identity and nationality. Foreign nationals: if the document does not contain information in Russian, provide a notarized translation.
- Foreign nationals: foreign passport.
- A document that certifies the level of education of an established standard, as well as documents certifying a musical education. Foreign nationals: if the document does not contain information in Russian, provide a notarized translation.
- questionnaire may be printed and filled out at home, or you can come to the Academy and fill it out when you apply. In any case, please read the application form in advance.
- Write and print your autobiography at home.
- Birth Certificate, copy.
- Baptismal Certificate, copy.
- Marriage certificate, copy. For married applicants.
- Church Marriage Certificate, copy. For married applicants.
- Certificate of registration according to form No. 9 - a certificate that lists all family members. For Russian nationals.
- Certificate of a Reader's tonsure (for readers), tonsure certificate (for monks), certificate of ordination to the rank of priest (deacon) and a copy of the last decree of the ruling bishop of appointment to a parish (for clergy).
- 6 color photographs 6×8. If you belong to the clergy, take a picture of yourself in garb that corresponds to your rank.
- A medical report according to form 086/u with fluoroscopic examination data and preventive vaccinations, as well as a psychiatrist's and narcologist's results.
- An insurance policy of mandatory health insurance, issued at the place of permanent residence. For Russian nationals.
- A Military ID or a certificate with a military registration mark. For Russian nationals.
- Copies of documents that confirm the individual achievements of the applicant. The results of these achievements are taken into account when applying, if they comply with the Rules of Admission.
If one desires, documents may be submitted electronically, after notifying the Admissions Office. Send all your scanned documents to the Admissions Office email address, except for the application form and photos. All original documents, along with the application form and photographs, should be submitted when you arrive for the entrance examination. Write your name, surname and patronymic in the subject line, as well as the "Choir Director's School". If the subject of your letter does not contain your surname and patronymic and the words "Choir Director's School", such a letter will be ignored.
2. Entrance exams
Admission to the Academy is not granted without entrance exams.
The entrance exams are as follows:
- The Comprehensive Examination consists of four parts:
Part I - Solfège
01) singing from from sight single-voice sheet music in the form of a period;
02) singing scales in various tonalities, tritons and characteristic intervals;
03) definition by ear of harmonies and an analysis of harmonic structure of church chants.
Part II - Voice delivery
The applicant is supposed to perform a specially prepared hymn, which will showcase the applicant's vocal abilities in their entirety. It can be a work for a soloist with a chorus or a part of a choral chant. It should be sufficiently representative and expressive in terms of dynamics, range and melodiousness.
Part III - Piano
You need to demonstrate your piano skills. To do this, you need to prepare two works of a different nature from the classical repertoire (polyphony, large form, cantilena, sketch), as well as be able to read the choral scores of the church and singing repertoire from a sheet.
Part IV - Conducting
At the exam it will be necessary:
01) to conduct and sing church chants of the unchangeable daily liturgical circle (All-Night Vigil, Liturgy) or chants of any holiday in the 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4 measures;
02) to sing troparia of the Twelve Great Feasts indicating the measures and, desirably, with a display of the direction of melodic movement;
03) to answer questions on church choral literature, history of the Church choral culture (performing aspect, choral groups, singing manner).
* If the applicant has has secondary or higher specialized musical education, upon request of the commission, it is necessary to show (conduct) your diploma program a capella;
* It is forbidden to preform the Cherubic hymn and A Mercy of Peace at the exam.
- Interviews. To pass them, you must:
01) Know by heart the following prayers:
a. Beginning prayers: "Glory to Thee, Our God, Glory to Thee", "O Heavenly King...", "Holy God...", "Holy Trinity...", "Our Father...", "Come, let us worship...";
b. Morning prayers: "Having risen from sleep...", "O God, cleanse me a sinner...", "O Holy Angel...";
c. Evening prayers: "O Eternal God," "O Ruler of all, Word of the Father..." "O good Mother of the Good King...", "O Angel of Christ...";
d. To the Theotokos:"O Virgin Mary, rejoice...", "It is truly meet...", "To Thee the Champion Leader...", "The door of compassion...", "We have not other help...";
e. Also: The Creed, the prayer of St. Ephraim, the prayer before the Holy Communion "I believe, O Lord, and I confess...", the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes, the troparia of the Twelve Great Feasts, the troparion of your saint, the 50th and 90th Psalms.
02) also know the basics of the Orthodox Church doctrine, Orthodox worship and biblical history;
03) be able to read in Church Slavonic, know Church Slavonic letters, superscripts and abbreviations;
04) Know Slavonic numerals.
- Medical checkup (mandatory for all).
You should come to the Moscow Theological Academy at the appointed time. Ask the Academy assistant to the deputy rector on duty to help you with your accommodation. After the exams and the announcement of the results, you leave the Academy.
If you have any questions, please contact us at any time:
WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram: +7 963 770-63-44;
A group for applicants in VKontakte: https://vk.com/abitmda.