Teachers and students of the MThA and the SPbThA discussed History of their theological schools in Soviet time
On May 26, a round table "Moscow and Leningrad Theological Academies at the Soviet time: Managerial, Scientific and Educational Activities" enable researches to share results of their works on History of two leading theological institutions in the USSR.
The round table was organized by the Church History Department of the Moscow Theological Academy headed by Professor A.K. Svetozarsky and the Historical Society of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy chaired by D.A. Karpuk.
At the round table, there were reports presented by the following speakers:
- Professor A.K. Svetozarsky, PhD in Theology, Head of the Church History Department of the Moscow Theological Academy, "Renegades during the period of Khrushchev’s anti-religious campaign. People from Moscow theological schools";
- Archpriest Konstantin Kostromin, PhD in Historical Sciences, PhD in Theology, Vice-Rector for Scientific and Theological Work, Associate Professor of the Church History Department of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy, “Leningrad Theological Academy during the rectorship of Bishop Mikhail (Mudyugin)”;
- G.E. Kolyvanov, PhD in Theology, Associate Professor of the Church History Department of the Moscow Theological Academy, “Moscow Theological Academy and Seminary in the late 60s - early 70s of the XX century based on Archpriest Yevgeny Kolyvanov’s letters and memoirs";
- D.A. Karpuk, PhD in Theology, Head of Postgraduate Studies, Associate Professor of the Church History Department of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy, “On the issue of scientific and theological certification at the Leningrad Theological Academy in the 1950s – 1960s”;
- I.S. Ryazanov, an undergraduate student of the Church History Department of the Moscow Theological Academy, "The cultural life of the Moscow Academy during the rectorship of Archbishop Philaret (Vakhromeev) (1966-1973)";
- N.A. Tarnakin, Master in Theology, a postgraduate student of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy “From Academy to Academy: Life of Professor of the Leningrad Theological Academy K.A. Sborovskiy (1883-1965) ";
- Deacon Sergiy Kulpinov, applicant at the St. Petersburg Theological Academy, a cleric of the Irkutsk diocese “On the history of the Moscow Theological Academy in 1923-1934”.
They exchanged opinions on given presentations. The biggest interest was evoked by a report on working conditions of teachers in theological schools at the Soviet time. The participants compared merits and drawbacks in a pre-revolutionary and modern state of the Academy.
At the end of such a friendly meeting, its participants expressed their hope that similar events will continue in future.
The MThA Press Office