The Moscow Theological Academy and the Russian State Humanitarian University held the VI International Conference on Preserving Church Art
On May 25 and 26, 2022, within the framework of the XXX International Educational Readings, the Moscow Theological Academy and the Russian State Humanitarian University held the VI International Scientific Conference "Problems of Preserving Church Art".
The conference took place in a blended format at the Russian State Humanitarian University.
The list of participants included art historians, restorers, artists, monks and nuns as well as representatives of secular and theological educational institutions.
Vladimir Alekseevich Kolotaev, Dean of the Art History Department at the Russian State Humanitarian University, and Nina Valerievna Kvlividze, Head of the Department of History and Theory of Church Art at the Moscow Theological Academy, opened the conference.
The reports touched the topics of conservation and research of church art monuments, highlighted the work of church museums and their educational activity and raised some problems of museum and restoration studies at the theological educational institutions.
Several reports were devoted to the cathedrals of the Holy Trinity- St. Sergius Lavra. This year marks the 600th anniversary of the acquisition of St. Sergius’ of Radonezh relics and the foundation of the Trinity Cathedral.
Teachers, students and graduates of the Department of History and Theory of Church Art at the Moscow Theological Academy took an active part in the conference:
- Nina Valerievna Kvlividze, Professor, "Bishop Porfiry (Uspensky) as a researcher and a collector of works of church art";
- Valeriy Viktorovich Igoshev, Professor, "On the principles of scientific restoration: conservation and reconstruction of church art monuments";
- Inessa Nikolaevna Slyunkova, Professor, “On the structure of the concept of preservation of heritage in temple architecture: a monument of art – sacred liturgical space – theology of the image”;
- Viktor Borisovich Dorokhov, Senior Lecturer, “Development of Heating and Ventilation Systems in Russian Church Buildings in XIX–XX Centuries”;
- Marina Georgievna Piven, Associate Professor, "Monuments of church art in the collection of Mikhail Petrovich Botkin (1839–1914)";
- Evgenia Yuryevna Suvorova, Senior lecturer, “Images of the Mother of God in V.L. Borovikovsky’s work";
- Irina Mikhailovna Zubrenko, Senior Lecturer, "Patriarchal Museum of Church Art as a training platform for the MThA students";
- Natalya Ivanovna Grigoryeva, a post-graduate student, "The history of Church and archaeological museums in the Russian Empire";
- Olga Vladimirovna Baranova, a post-graduate student, “Books of the XVIII century in the MThA library. Features of the collection";
- Anna Leonidovna Krasnova, a post-graduate student, “Features of storing Greek religious engravings in Russian collections”;
- Tatyana Igorevna Danilova, a graduate, "Assumption Cathedral in Sergiev Posad (1757-1769). The destiny of the monument";
- Olga Alekseevna Rodicheva, a graduate, "Restoration of the Assumption Cathedral of the Holy Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra";
- Bogdan Bogdanovich Goncharuk, a graduate, “On the Renovation of the Iconostasis of the Trinity Cathedral of the Holy Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra under Metropolitan Platon Levshin.”
The MThA Press Office